Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Why the Right Should Support Gay Marriage Only, and Why I Want the Government Out of Straight Marriage

As a libertarian, I want a small government that doesn't interfere with me and my freedoms. As part of that non-interference, I want the government's nose out of "straight" marriage.

I have worked with many Indians (from India) in my time. According to them, in India, if a man wants a divorce, he raises his hand to his wife's face and says, "I divorce you". If this was all it took, I'd be much more likely to get married, since it wouldn't be much different than the way I separate from girlfriends now. Instead, I've been avoiding marriage like the plague, in part because of the separation and alimony horror stories I've heard.

As a more graphic reason for avoiding government run marriage, watch Braveheart again. How would you like the right of prima nocte enforced? Wanna keep the rulers out of your affairs now?

Personally, I want this "freedom from government" for homosexuals, also. And for the Mormons who want polygamy, too. I mean, why do you want to give control over who you can marry to the government? Anyway, let's contemplate the scenario where only gay marriage is regulated by the state.

All of a sudden, extremists can target this group for taxation, persecution, concentration camps, and homosexual prima nocte rights. So by registering yourself with the state, you open yourself up to a whole mess of hardship. Welcome to marriage - and I though alimony was bad.

Instead, let's keep the government out of our business. We have laws for communal ownership, child custody, and the like. Let's stop letting government regulate our relationships; get their noses out of our business and our bedrooms, and prevent them from screwing up our lives.

No comments: