Friday, January 15, 2010

An Open Question: How Much of Obama's Personal Wealth Is Going to Haiti?

I wasn't able to find this from my quick google search, so I'm hoping someone can help me with it. We know that Obama contributed $100 million (and I believe additional non-monetary aide) to Haiti. This is tax payer money (and dollar holder wealth via money creation). So my tax dollars (and dollar savings) have gone to Haiti - whether I like it or not.

The president makes a lot more than me (I think he's at $400k). His accumulated wealth is also greater than mine by an order of magnitude. So I'm wondering how much of his own money he has pledged to Haiti. Is it greater than the money he has pledged on my behalf? Is it greater, percentage wise, based on our annual salaries? Based on net worth?

Update: Gisele Bundchen donated $1.5 million, Sandra Bullock has given $1 million, Redditors have given over $100K, Obama has robin hooded my money; how much of his own fortune has he donated?

Update: The president's salary is not tax free.

Update: The Obama's have donated $15k. I like to think I had something to do with that ... you never know.

3 comments:

Don M said...

Good point! I just googled about the Presidents salary and heres what I found. Effective January 1, 2001, the annual salary of the president of the United States was increased to $400,000 per year, including a $50,000 expense allowance.

ranter said...

Thanks for the feedback, Don, I've also started a thread on reddit.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.