Wednesday, January 20, 2010

nme16 uses censorship to silence capitalists

I recently made two comments to “The Prejudice of Race alone…”. However, my second comment has been removed, so I will paraphrase it here.

I believe that the author, and many anti-meritocrats, are jealous of amazing individuals. Instead of appreciating the light successful capitalists bring to the world, attackers perceive others' success as lessening their own. To syphon off the luminescence of the great they attack the (economic) systems which allow for their success; in this case by associating capitalism with racism.

I am not writing this because I am immune to jealousy nor because I am particularly successful. I am writing it because I have some understanding of jealousy, having been the victim of the emotion on both sides of success; because I believe that capitalism is the best economic system in the long term for all; and that jealousy will not end under any economic system.


To make sure I capture the first comment before it is also removed, I have copied it here.

You are participating in the Orwellian redefinition of capitalism.

Capitalism is an economic and social system in which capital, the non-labor factors of production (also known as the means of production), is privately owned; labor, goods and capital are traded in markets; and profits distributed to owners or invested in technologies and industries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

Capitalism means you can own stuff. A capitalist is a person who believes that capitalism is the most appropriate economic system. This is in contrast to the many collectivist systems where your property may be taken at the whim of the mob.

It has allowed folks like Michael Jordan, Bill Cosby (who you disparage), George Washington Carver, and many other hard working, talented, people to prosper thanks to capitalism’s intrinsic meritocracy.

No comments: